02 March 2011

PR 2011: Purely Decadent Coconut Milk "Ice Cream"



Introducing Purely Decadent - Turtle Trails "Ice Cream" - contains: non-dairy caramel sauce and chocolate-coated praline pecans! Mmm.

I have been meaning to try this pint size Vegan (Dairy & Egg-Free) and Gluten-Free frozen dessert for weeks. Finally picked it up today at the local market.  The taste: reminds me of ice shavings.  It's pretty good for an imitation.  The only thing is it doesn't hold well.  Once it's taken out of the freezer, it starts to soften - fast. See pic below:

 



The important stuff:
  • Made with 70% organic ingredients - 
    • Error alert - on my part about the product containing soy -- Thanks to avegangirl, it's gone : )
    • Update! Oh wait...according to the Soy Delicious website (see the nutrition and ingredients tab), this very product contains soy protein and soy lecithin...looks like I was correct after all. Why didn't I just go confirm this on the container?! Go figure. 

I'm looking forward to trying more coconut based desserts this summer when I can truly appreciate this cold decadent treat. I'll be sure to have a spoon and straw handy.  Maybe I'll even blog about the other flavors. Stay tuned and as always, Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I saw your tweet and thought that maybe there was a new flavor of Purely Decadent made with coconut milk. It's my favorite dairy-free ice cream of all the dairy-free ice creams out there. (I've tried just about all of them), and this flavor is one of my favorites, too. It's rich and creamy, and tastes better than the way I remember dairy ice cream. You wrote that it's made with non-GMO soy milk. That's strange, because your photo and description is of their coconut milk ice cream. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi avegangirl -- you're so right! Thank you for stopping by, commenting, and catching my mishap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi avegangirl -- looks like this product actually contains soy, see their website. such is life. thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this flavor does contain soy, but the way you described it, it sounded like you were talking about a soy ice cream flavor, rather than coconut milk. (They also make soy ice cream.) Sorry for the confusion!

    P.S. One other thing I wanted to add: I like the fact that this ice cream is not hard as a rock when you take it out of the freezer. With some other brands, you have to let them sit on your counter for 10 or 15 minutes before you can even dig your spoon in. And I don't know about you, but when the urge hits me for something cold and sweet, that's just a little too long to wait! :)

    ReplyDelete